Friday, April 1, 2005

John's Letter

Moon
On Sunday I went to the main office to return a video we picked up. I was on my way back to help unload groceries when Some of the staff told me about their free Sunday lunches. I saw that it was pieces of a sub sandwich, so I walked over to get a piece for Janel and myself. Once there, I got snagged into this conversation with a guy named, Moon. He was pretty cool, just graduated as an EMT and in addition works with SWAT. He and his girlfriend live way back in apartment G (or F?). He said that since they live so far back, there isn't all that much traffic. So, every so often they block off the parking area and have a big bbq block party (he extended an invite for the next time they have one).

Super Big Tuesday (Last Tuesday Recap)
On my way in for a Media Planner internship interview at Sedgewick Rd, I found myself unable to change lanes at the exit and couldn't take the turn. So, I went back one exit to try again. As I was finishing the onramp a police officer waved me through. I had the whole highway to myself. Apparently there was an accident right there. The exit for Sedgewick Rd is an easy and quick route. Located near Krispy Kremes and the entrance of Safeco Field, there is a big alley for free parking behind the building. (Though on game days, this is not the case) The interview seemed to go alright. Carolyn seemed ok with taking me in because of my instructor tie-in with Mr. Petek (the last five people hired were all WSU interns), and the fact two of them are friends of mine. Unfortunately, it felt as if she was just asking questions for procedure sake, because she didn't really seem to care about my answers. She was also suffering from allergies she noted. She was concerned because legally I couldn't work there without college credit. She said if I could provide proof of my eligibility then I could possibly have it. I called Petek immediately...and actually reached him. He said it was possible and to email him some information and he would get the ball rolling. I talked with registration and they noted an additional late fee bringing the two credit total to roughly $600. From there I just had to wait.
When Janel got back from school we both went over to Jason & Caroline's. Caroline and I worked through a few kinks in the user manual. Then Adam called with a free Sonics ticket, and he met up with us there. The Sonics won, and Adam crashed for the night at our place. While we were at the game, Janel called us to say that Fisher Radio had called to see if I was still interested in the Part Time Traffic Coordinator Position.
That was a full full day.

Sedgewick Rd (Last week recap)
I guess my instructor did not reach Caroline as soon as she needed, for she had given away the internship position to someone else. However she wrote to me saying “There is another position that I'm offering you which is within the Media Newspaper Group. This group is responsible for negotiating/buying newspaper space for all of our clients. The person you would report to is Celest. Celest also has two full time employees who work on her team.”
When I called Celest, I asked if the internship position would be available between 1 p.m. and 5 p.m., allowing me the opportunity to consider the Fisher Radio PT job. She told me that was fine and I would see her on Monday. I was slightly surprised half expecting another interview… but happy nonetheless.
Generally speaking here is a list of some clients: Washington Mutual, Washington State Department of Health, Tobacco Cessation & Prevention, Nintendo, Converse, Seattle Storm, Seattle International Film Festival, Seattle Art Museum, Cinema Seattle, REI, Mervyn’s, and Marshall’s. There are more, and some have stopped, but in brief here’s whom they have represented.
In working with newspaper I would be able to work on a variety of accounts instead of one. So far I have been working a lot with Excel and SRDS covering the 209 markets and their 40% of newspapers. It's been a big project but one that can be used from now on year by year.

Fisher Radio (Last Week Recap)
Our friend Darci works full time as a Traffic Coordinator at Fisher Radio, and sent this message to Janel, “Just wanted to let you know, my boss LOVED John's cover letter. She yelled out ‘Darci you have to tell me about this guy’...lol...I didn't know what she was talking about, but I went in there and she was reading John's letter.” So that was positive to know, and even better when about a week and a half had passed and she called to set up an interview. The meeting was casual and ran really well. The job would run from 8 a.m. to noon, but I wouldn't know much because she was leaving for the week. After that we had passed, and well into the middle of the next week, she called back for second interview in which I would meet to other members of the staff (not counting Darci-who would understandably be left in the dark). I felt that interview ran smoothly too. I also learned that sweeps week was coming up and that things were going to get even busier for those already working overtime. Then another week passed.
Here is who Fisher Radio represents: KPLZ-Star 101.5, Komo 1000 News, KVI Talk Radio 570, Advertising Sales for Classical King FM 98.1 (since 2000), Seattle Mariners Radio Network (since 2003).
From what I know, the P/T Traffic Assistant would work with sales, accounts and promotion offices. One would learn to use Traffic systems and codes, and basically doublecheck calling to make sure numbers and allotments are correct.

Jon Moore
Jon came to visit us on Friday, and we hung out, watched a movie. Caught up, and joked around.

Easter
We had a good time having dinner with the family and the Kandzor's family for an early Easter dinner. Sunday's breakfast with the inclusion of Uncle Jerry was pleasant, relaxing and fun. I'm glad it worked out that way this year. Originally Janel & I were to be going to Wenatchee, but that changed when she had to get the driving permit on Saturday. Turns out, the Wenatchee Easter dinner had been canceled anyway and moved to the following weekend.
That afternoon Janel & I went to go see the movie Miss Congeniality 2. It was ok, but not one that really needs to be seen in theaters.


Posted by Hello

Dodging
On Monday, my first day to intern, I barely missed the traffic jam caused by a cop motorcycle/cab accident, then later I experienced trying to park when there is a 1pm Mariner's game. Impossible! The six dollar parking lots are 40 bucks! And naturally the free parking behind the workplace is all gone.

Meatball
On Thursday night Janel and I went over to Jason and Caroline's so we could go over a few final changes to the User document. We stayed and Janel made a tasty spaghetti meatball dinner.

Girls Night
On Saturday Janel met up with Kristen & Darci for a girls night/sleepover. And to think that we had lost an hour of sleep that night too! On Sunday Janel met up with Caroline and Daphni for lunch, and shopping.

Posted by Hello

Three-Year Anniversary Mark
Wednesday the sixth, Janel and I celebrated our three-year anniversary with my spring break visiting parents! We feasted a delicious meal complete with salads, soups, appetizers, and dessert... I huge desert. I was glad to be able to celebrate with them, and grateful that they stayed the night.