Sunday, November 26, 2006

What If? Classic Vol. 3

1979 (Published in 2006)/Fiction-Comic, Publisher: Marvel Comics (Web)
By Roy Thomas, Jim Shooter, Don Glut & More. 216 pgs.
Overview: B&N, Amazon, Wiki, MC.
Republished in color, the magazines included are:
14 Feb: Sgt Fury & his Howling Commandos fought WWII in Outer Space? $.60
15 Apr: Someone else had become Nova? $.60
17 Jun: Ghost Rider, Spider Woman & Captain Marvel were evil? $.60
18 Aug: Doctor Strange had become a disciple of Dormammu? $.60
19 Oct: Spider-Man had stopped the burglar? $.60
20 Dec: The Avengers fought the Kree-Skrull War without Rick Jones? $.60
Comments: C (3.4.07) In this volume, issues 15, 18 & 19, were the ones I was interested in, I had thought that 17 would be interesting, but in fact it was mediocre. As you can see, two issues were not included due to legal reasons (13 Conan walked the Earth today, & 16: Shang-Chi, Master of Kung-Fu, had remained loyal to Fu Manchu?). And boyu am I ever tied of the WWII what if's. I think in some ways this magazine was doomed to start with. I love the general idea, I even like reading about different takes on other superheroes I wouldn't normally follow. But some, I just don't care, and some ideas (like a WWII in outer space?) I don't want to see anyway...really explain the death of the magazine iteself. It would be very tough to maintain subscribers.