Thursday, November 25, 2004

Black-Eyed Peas

Let me start out by saying that I have been a fan of this group since the single "Request Line," first hit the airwaves. It was what happened on the next album that it gets sticky.

At that time I was still attending classes at a University and I lived in a single room dorm. Or as the Residential Advisors constantly corrected me, "Residential Hall."

It was around 11:30 pm or so and I was headed off to bed. Thats when I heard it.

I was fortunate enough to have a room at the end of the hallway, so, I was not inbetween two rooms, there was only one on one side. Yet this still was too much.

The tune, "Where is the love," came on from my international neighboring student's room next door. Then again...and again...and a few more. The song was on repeat people.

I let it go and attempted sleep. 12:45, nerves a little bothered.

Now, about that time the clock worldwide seemed to accomplish the impossible. One minute now elapsed in 10, and another feat came about...the song seemed to only have a chorus. "Where is the love."

Needless to say I was begining to wonder that myself. My pillow, which has provided years of comfort, was not an effective sound barrier. It was like I was experiencing a modern day water torture. Where the hell is my neighbor, it cannot be possible that one could tolerate this much repetition and still have sanity...he must be out...I pray that he is not gone for the whole night. I would not stand for it.

"Where is the love."

1:40, somehow my test of wills couldn't take it anymore. My blood was evaporating and my head was a throbbing echoing mess. I was going to show my neighbor just where the love was. Maybe I would suggest another tune on the very same album, I could take him a copy. Now what was that tune called again, oh yes, "Shut up." Seriously.

Out in the hallway the lights were bright. I did not see them, I couldn't with all the love in my eyes. I knocked on his door-debating my approach.

He opened the door...He was there after all! What the hell! Does he still like the song?

I heard myself asking if he "could please turn the song down a little." What was that! Just ask for a different song! Abort, the fallout of this could be worse! I am so not getting any sleep.

Actually, as he nodded, and I thanked him...he just turned the music off.

My whole body seemed to sigh relief. Could I really sleep after that?