Monday, March 14, 2005

Work-Canadian

Overall, people treated employees with the rudest manners possible. Granted most were high schoolers, and late fees were something to be annoyed about...I pretty much took the job because I could do it as I slept. I actually hated the company, including the cost to rent, and weak selection...Anyway, I didn't really care all that much about the job. One day this woman brought up a travelers check. Now, other places I worked accepted them as cash, and other as checks. So, I called my manager to see how they are accepted. He said thatthey don't accept them. I laughed, and asked him to be serious, and he said he was. So, I told her we couldn't take it. the woman understandably was upset. She insisted it was the same as cash. I nodded in agreement, and took the managers side and said that it wasn't worth anything here. We went back and forth once or twice more and I told her that there wasn't anything I could do about it, that she could talk to the main manager about it tomorrow, gave her that oersons name, and even said mine so she would not forget. They left (paid by some other means) At this point, there was a long line of customers waiting. All of them, when they came up to the counter, started making jokes about Canadians (though funny, I’m not sure if the lady even was Canadian.) Turns out they do accept travelers checks like I thought. I wasn't in any trouble either because I was doing what the manager told me.

That’s when you get the customers back, who think they have taught you some lesson, like that is really a victory. Look at me, I’m so much better than a video sales clerk...they carry the "ha ha ha" face, but it is so pathetic to see someone so happy when they don't realize they are pointlessly grinning like an idiot.

My other favorite bunch of people were the complainers there. This one lady came over to me furious about a movie they checked out. She went on about how it contained witchcraft, and that was against her religious beliefs...etc...that's fine and all. She carried on a bit more about how we shouldn't carry stuff like this and so on about the damage it has done to her and family.

So I grabbed the movie, planning to give her credit for it when I looked at the title. "Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone." I laughed, and told her I couldn’t believe she was serious. I read the title aloud and looked at her. She did not follow my point so I told her that I could not help her and passed her off to the manager to deal with. I wasn't going to help someone that stupid.