Monday, March 14, 2005

Work-Dining Customers

Now my remarks then didn't just stick with the people I worked with but customers too. I had one table where a real estate salesman was trying to pitch a place out on these cliffs over looking the ocean (about a mile away from where I lived). So, to join in and make the guests shortly bond for a better tip, I put in my two cents and said, "Ah yes, West Beach. I have a friend who lives out there and he told me that the cliffs fall about a foot a year and it feels like an earthquake. When we do have an earthquake he doesn't know it because he thinks a chunk has fallen instead!"

The real estate agent pressed his lips tightly with one side downward and you could tell he was biting his tongue. The constituent was laughing, and the agent said, "Yes a very small portion falls away from a spot or two anywhere on the cliff sides."

A manager had heard me say that and came over to talk to me about it. I had to explain that I did read their faces before I made the comment. I don't make remarks if I observe that it would be inappropriate or unfavorable. However, I agreed, this may have been overboard. Yet, they tipped very well and liked my service.

The next night these two ladies sat in my section, had been classmates way back in the day, and had not seen each other in years. Needless to say they were both bubbly and talking all fast and excited. I brought there food and told them not to talk too fast while eating. Followed by their polite laughter.

When I went back to see how they were doing they were still chattering fast as they ate. So, I told them I was just making sure nobody was choking, and one lady started to laugh hard and ended up coughing a bit. Naturally my manager had only heard our conversation at that particular point. He took me aside and said that if I might try looking for some other kind of work.

The timing was perfect, the two ladies interrupted him by coming up to pay out and they were giving me the greatest compliments about service and such and they gave me a huge tip right there.

They left, and he stood quiet for a moment….and then said, "Keep it up!"