Monday, March 14, 2005

Work-Smartass

In my first real interview, the general manager specifically told me he follows every rule and has set expectations of everyone to make. He was an older guy who was hard of hearing in one ear, and he made it clear that he was hiring me so he could fire the guy who was going to train me. I must have had an odd expression on my face because he immediately said that it's a dog eat dog world. I was training to be a busboy! Most of the staff members that left, ended up leaving because of him, from getting fired or quitting, he wasn't a guy that many got along with.

Soon after I had started, he came up and asked me to clean the draining sink beneath the sink. I glanced and saw that it was full of globby built up residue goop.

I said, "No way in hell." Now keep in mind that at this time I was still a smartass coming from the boatdocks. And he said, slightly stunned, "Excuse me?"

I quickly responded, "I sure will!" Making sure that I pronounced "will" with the same sound as I had for "hell." his expression led me to believe that he knew I said something else. So I also added, "It builds character." From then on he thought I was alright and appreciated the way I worked.

Later, after a fair amount of time had elapsed, the same manager was upset at servers talking in the back station. Being as dumb as I was I said, "only if you stop farting when you're walking." Everyone stopped and looked at me, and I found myself speaking in a relatively same pattern expressed in the last statement. I said "yes, we really shouldn't be talking." The manager said "quite right," and everything was back to normal except for the snickering from those who heard.