Sunday, May 21, 2006

Nitpicks & Rumors - May

Nitpicks
Gripe - The Price of Hydrogen
In Europe gas is $6.62 a gallon, US Gasoline $2.34 gal (the following comparision occured just before the hike), E85 Ethanol $2.41 gal, B100 Biodiesel $3.40 gal, Electricity $1.25 gal (gallon equivalent), M85 Ethanol $2.89 gal, Compressed Natural Gas $1.25 gal (gallon equivalent), and finally...get this...Hydrogen is $11 a gallon. $11 a gallon! Can you believe that! Why had there been such a huge push for hydrogen? Clearly hybrids, plastics and anything in combination with electricity appear to be the way to go.
Pick - Blistex Lip Infusion
For the last two years, I have been a massive fan of what I nicknamed the "Slobber stick" (aka Blistex Complete Moisture). It feels like soothing water on your lips, and that bugs some people. It's only downfall is heat. It is almost as if the entire stick evaporates on its own, so I kept it indoors and would carry around my other favorite, Blistex Herbal Answer. However recently I picked up Blistex Lip Infusion, which is basically a liquid with a roller ball up top. The cap screws on, and the whole thing is approximatly .01 fl oz (.25 g) smaller than regular Blistex chapstick. Regardless it works pretty good. All I have now is to test it in the heat, but it looks like it will take it well. The downfall of this specific chapstick, is that it seems to dry my lips out, encouraging more use...but ultimately just making my lips worse than if I had used some other kind.
Pick - Oz Books
They say that there are the Famous Forty Wizard of Oz books, which include the original 14 Frank Baum stories, the following 19 by Ruth Plumly Thompson, and a scattering of others. However, the Famous Forty does not include a handful written by the authors included within the Famous Forty...which would raise that number to 49 books. Another author should have been given some credit with his creation of five others, and now there is a certified Oz author whom has written two more books recently. I would love to be able to own a couple complilations containing all of these stories...but the publishing rights are who knows where...(click
here to see futher details.)
Gripe - Envelope Licking
Alright, now I know that very soon I will have wedding invitation and thank-you tounge-torturing envelope licking pain coming...you're right, I would us a sponge first. But isn't it time for self adheasive envelopes to kick in the way stamps have?
Gripe - Renting
We began writing checks for our apartment because last year they added a ten dollar monthly charge for using a credit card. Which was a huge bummer since we earned money back on our American Express cards. Maybe they have a reasonable reason (like bad credit on someone, etc) or maybe they are out to make a buck. I figure its the latter because of the parking swindle situation we went through last year. It would make far too much sense to only apply this to the tennants with problems, or even only make it a requirement for the first few months. Anyway, Monday was May first and rent was due. We had a soccer game to be at By six, and a few errands too, so at about 4:30 we dropped off our monthly rent into the appropriate drop box and went on our way. Today, Friday May 5th, wedged into the door was an envelope containing our check, voided with a note by the Business Manager. It said, "We cannot accept personal checks after the third for rent. Please pay with money order or debit/credit card. I will waive the late fee as this is your first time late." So, I called the number provided on the letter and it doesn't even work. Do I have to track down the Business Manager every month and staple it to her? What were they doing with our check for 2.5 days? Whatever.
Pick - PS3
The Sony PlayStation 3 console, set to release Nov 17, 2006, has a price tag for of $599. There is a $499 console that will be out too, but seriously...if your putting down the money, the $499 console is a rip off. For $600 the 60-gigabyte disk drive console comes equipped with a Cell processor (jointly developed with IBM and Toshiba), which is about 35 times faster than the existing PS2 consoles and about twice as quick as the Xbox 360. The Cell processor interacts with PSP's, and is backwards compatible with PS2 and PS1. It contains Wi-Fi, a Blu-Ray player (HD-DVD format is viewed as an incremental improvement, whereas Blu-Ray is perceived as a next generational improvement with maximum storage capacity of
54 GB dual layer, enabling content in full high-definition (HD) quality, under a secure environment made possible through the most advanced copyright protection technology), 4 USB ports in the front and 2 in the back, and supports (up to 7 Bluetooth) wireless Kinetic controllers (tilt-sensitive) which most likely came into play to battle with Nintendos new controller. The controller features a USB mini-B connector terminal at the top of the controller for charging the internal battery through USB, and also for wired play. The PS3 will also support for high quality display in resolution of 1080p in addition to 720p/1080i. The computational power of the system itself sports the equivalent of 2 teraflops, meaning that entirely new graphical expressions that have never been seen before will become possible. In games, not only will movement of characters and objects be far more refined and realistic, but landscapes and virtual worlds can also be rendered in real-time, thereby elevating the freedom of graphics expression to levels not experienced in the past. The PS3 will use the Cross Media Bar (XMB) already used in the PlayStation Portable and PSX devices. The version demonstrated at E3 2006 included options for different user profiles, the ability to explore photos, play music and movie trailers from the hard drive, compatibility for a USB Keyboard and Mouse, a full Internet browser and a Friends menu. In a separate demo Sony also presented the "Marketplace" where players can buy and download music, have a profile, and act in karaoke's in a service called "SingStar". It has been confirmed that Linux will be pre-installed on the PS3 hard drive. Sony hopes this will encourage homebrew development. For $100 bucks less, the PS3 drops to a 20-gigabyte disk drive, does not have wireless internet capability or compatibility with compact flash memory storage devices. To compare, Microsoft's $299 - $399 Xbox 360 is 20-gigabytes, 1 teraflop, supports 4 wireless controllers, 3 USB ports, and is pushing for HD-DVD formats. Which also means that a separate component for the 360 would be sold down the line if the format wins over Blu-Ray. The PS3 remote controller uses Bluetooth rather than infrared - meaning that you can use it behind a cushion. Seattle Times, Businesses, May 11, 2006, pg E1, & Game Innovation.
The June 2006 Issue 105 of the Official US PlayStation Magazine (pg 28), and The October 2006 Issue 162 of Game Informer (pg 19) dove into the topic of console price comparisons and inflation, citing the following listed below. Please note that amounts indicated with an * are varying differences as shown in the PS Magazine, and the million consoles indications are also directly from the PS Magazine.
Magnavox Odyssey 1972 - original cost (OC) $100; after inflation to 2006 (I06) $487.
Atari VCS 1977 - OC $200, 25 Million Consoles (Mc); I06 $672 (*$645.75).
Mattel Intellivision 1979 - OC $299; I06 $838.
NES 1985 - OC $199 (*$299), 60Mc; I06 $376 (*530.62)
NES w/ROB 1985 - OC $249; I06 $471.
Sega Master System 1986 - CO $199; I06 $369.
Sega Genesis 1989 - OC $200, 35Mc; I06 $328 (*310.19).
SNK Neo Geo 1990 - OC $650; I06 $1,012 (*$966.76).
SNES 1991 - OC $199; I06 $297
Panasonic's 3DO 1993 - OC $700, 1Mc; I06 $986 (*$920.23)
Sega Saturn 1995 - OC $399, 10Mc; I06 $533 (*$496.42)
PlayStation 1995 - OC $299, 100Mc; I06 $399 (*$372.01)
N64 1996 - OC $199; I06 $258
Dreamcast 1999 - OC $200; I06 $244
PlayStation 2 2000 - OC $299; I06 $353
GameCube 2001 - OC $199; I06 $228
Xbox 2001 - OC $299; I06 $343
Xbox 360 Core 2005 - OC $299; I06 312.
Xbox 360 Premium 2005 - OC $399; I06 $416.
PS3 20GB 2006 - OC $499.
PS3 60GB 2006 - OC $599.
Pick - Series Finales
Finally, a few shows that need to go, will do so. The West Wing just hasn't been the same since Sorkin left. That 70's Show started off as an awesome show...and has been slowly floundering on the ground in a painful death. 7th Heaven was not my show of choice (fiancee), so its not one I will miss. I found Will & Grace as entertaining as annoying, sorry fans, not one that I will miss. The real question is what’s next. My Name is Earl will probably be ok for a second season (I love it), but a third is pushing it. The third season of Reno 911 felt like it had jumped shark somewhere. The Office hit its attractive high for me this year (It took three months before I could get into it), but I'm getting bored of it. New sitcoms are in high demand, and badly needing freshness.

Gripe - Interactive Menu's & Standard Format
First off, if I am buying a DVD, I want widescreen. Anything else cuts away parts of the film and takes away the full picture. I don't want it. Second of all, do not use "Interactive Menu" as an upsale. Menu's are an expectation, not a perk do DVD purchases. Early & companies being cheap on options push this sales perk. Don't.
Pick - Colgate Active Angle
A
toothbrush. That's right...I like my toothbrush that I picked up (my other one was well past the recommended three month mark, and was just a normal plain jane toothbrush). Now, my all time favorite brush is the Aquafresh Max Active with the bendable head and criss-crossing bristles. But I didn't see it the other day, and the Active Angle is peaking my interest more and more. I also have a Oral-B Crossaction Power brush, but I don't like it as much...it seems to make the paste frothy, and I can't tell how good the brushing is. I may have chosen it subconsciously because the hummingbird temporarily raised my flossing involvement. I don't use the hummingbird much either, but rather a bag of plastic flossers (which are so much cheaper that hummingbird replacements). As far as paste goes, I'm all about Colgate Total Whitening Gel, mainly because I read that it has triclosan, the key ingredient to fight gingival inflammation. For a while after High School I was worried about my gums in that I really didn't floss all that much. I also bit my lip a lot, hence the whitening because I wasn't going to do the whitening strips and that whole nasty shabang. Which brings me to mouthwash. The first cavity I ever had went away when my top wisdom teeth were pulled, but I have the start of one where two teeth make flossing a little rough. So, I have been using ACT Fluoride Rinse and occassionally chewing Koolerz gum (Koolerz has Xylitol a natural cooling sugar-free sweetener, and with regular use may be helpful in reducing the risk for tooth decay. Orbits gum has some Xylitol in it too). But at the end of the day nothing fights plaque and gingivitis better than good old Listerine (since I don't particularly floss all that much). Ok, so since I have been going off about so much hygiene I might as well finish off with my face. Now the Gillette Fusion (see March Pick - Gillete Fusion) is my razor of choice after my electric razor (Philips Norelco Speed XL, however my charger is just a chord that plugs into an outlet, not a shmancy space exploiting stand, oh and its black not blue), and the Mach 3 Turbo used only when I travel. When I first picked one up in came with a free after shave or shaving cream option. I never use shaving cream, and hadn't often used after shave, but now I am addicted to Gillette Fusion HydraCool After Shave Gel. Which is not to be confused with the HydraSmooth After Shave Gel, which for some reason my face does not like what-so-ever. Going to the other side of the state, I have learned that my face gets dry soooo fast, its awful. I have also found that my face does not like Dial soap either. When my face is just a little dry, I like Vaseline Intensive Care Aloe Cool & Fresh with Aloe vera and cucumber extracts. But I need to find something for really really dry face. Maybe Vaseline Intensive Care Advanced Healing would do it, I just have to get it and see. All that's left now are two categories where I just use whatever is around, but maybe should someday investigate what is the best soap and shampoo for me to actually be using. As a sidenote, I did use a sample of Axe Snake Peel Shower Scrub with Desert Minerals and cactus oil, and I liked the smell and grittiness. Wow. See what happend? I was just going to talk about a toothbrush and there I went! Must be this months theme since I also have one about chapstick!
Pick - Kevin Smith
Kevin Smith
talks about "An Evening with Kevin Smith 2 Evening Harder" set to be released late July (236min running time 2-disc set with bonus Toronto Limo Ride Featurette, and London Man on the Street Featurette), and that his daily blog site will be made into a book (sweet, he also now has an official MySpace page), and answers other questions in his regular funny manner. Not only that but the Clerks II release date has been bumped from August 8th to, July 21, 2006 (YouTube Trailer)! Train Wrecked making of shorts sound like they will be included on the Clerks II DVD (with different music). Also see new YouTube pimping clip attempting to reach the "YouthTube" audience. MoviePoopShoot is now Quick Stop Entertainment.
A "Chasing Amy 10th Anniversary" DVD is slated for a 2007 release (as mentioned
here, and here, and Q&A Reunion mentioned here and here) which means that Dogma may have one in 1999 (which might include 2001's Judge Not: In Defense of Dogma, a Q&A and plenty other materials), a Jay & Silent Bob Strikes Back anniversay in 2011, and Jersey Girl in 2014. However, I would really like to see anniversary bundles completed much sooner than that. I'd also enjoy if 2002's Roadside Attractions, on Leno, made an appearance on some disc. I have not purchased current versions of Chasing Amy or Jersey Girl, but I would definately pick up anniversary collections containing extra massive materials. I had Clerks Uncensored, hated the cartoons, but loved the supplementals...I got rid of it...but if the rumor of the movie is true, maybe they will make an even better release with more extras (that I would go get). Once in a while Smith contemplates a Dogma II, which would be great as well!
Clerks (1994), Mallrats (1995), Chasing Amy (1997), Dogma (1999), Clerks Uncensored (2000), Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back (2001), An Evening With Kevin Smith (2002), Jersey Girl (2004), Clerks II (2006), An Evening With Kevin Smith II - Evening Harder (2006).
Be sure to check out
Smith's Diary, MySpace, NewsAskew, QSE, PoopShoot & Press.

Rumors
Movies
Death Defying Acts
A film based on the life of magic-man Harry Houdini. The movie, from director Gillian Armstrong, centers on Houdini during the height of his career in 1926, when he toured the world, amassing large crowds with his elaborate and daring escape performances. Catherine Zeta-Jones is set to play an exotic psychic with whom Houdini embarks on a passionate affair, says The Hollywood Reporter.
The Flash
The project is still very much alive and that things are about to kick-off. In the movie, a youngster named Wally West is touring the crime scene lab of his uncle, Barry Allen, when he’s doused in chemicals - after a lightning bolt strikes them – ultimately enabling him to run faster than any other human being on earth.
Harold & Kumar Sequel
"
Harold and Kumar I think is happening, knock on wood. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if I'm gonna be able to be involved because it's happening in a timeframe when I'm committed to Gary (the Tennis Coach, his new movie)." said director Danny Leiner whom also noted that he's also heard rumblings of a sequel to his Dude, Where's My Car?
Knight Rider Movie
The 1980s TV action drama Knight Rider has become the latest TV show to find a new life as a feature film. The Weinstein Company has acquired the rights to develop and produce a movie from Glen A. Larson, the original creator of the show. As part of the deal, Larson will write the script and co-executive produce the movie. The project has bounced around several studios over the past decade, and most recently was in development at Sony-based Revolution Studios. Weinstein Company has already announced they are preparing feature films based on the TV shows Welcome Back, Kotter and The Equalizer. Other Larson TV series slated for the big-screen include The Fall Guy and Magnum P.I. Actor David Hasselhoff has apparently been dismissed from the upcoming film version of the show, even after he pleaded with the show's creator for a part in the adaptation, according to a published report.
Power of the Dark Crystal
The movie will be set hundreds of years after the first film, at a time when the world has once again fallen into darkness. The sequel will follow the adventures of a mysterious girl made of fire who, together with a Gelfling outcast, steals a shard of the legendary Crystal in an attempt to reignite the dying sun that exists at the center of the planet. The film will start filming later this summer and will be released sometime in 2007.
Stargate
(
5.10.06) Apparently MGM is going to try to build on the Stargate franchise by adding a movie based on the continuity of the two TV shows (as opposed to making a sequel to the movie that kicked off the whole shebang) which would then launch a third weekly TV series. A little ambitious, in my view. But I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt as to whether they can pull it off. .
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
New Line has snapped up Craig Titley's pitch for an updated version of Jule Verne's novel and set it up with Sam Raimi and Josh Donen through their Buckaroo production company. Disney's original, released in 1954, starred James Mason, Kirk Douglas and Peter Lorre in the story of a 19th century expedition to find a mysterious sea creature that's been attacking ships. New Line is developing the project as a film that would look more closely into the background of Captain Nemo as well as that of his prisoners aboard the Nautilus.
X-Files 2
"
There's still a very good chance that we will all do another X-Files movie," Frank Spotnitz said. "David, Gillian and I, and even Chris Carter, all have deals in place, and once the legal issues are over with, we will go on with it. I'm hoping it will get resolved soon." Spotnitz, who is helping write the script, says the film will be more like a stand-alone episode, rather than fix on the alien cover up BS that decayed the latter episodes of the series. "No, we're not going into the mythology [in the sequel]," Spotnitz said. "One of the things that was exciting about doing it is to not make it a mythology story, and it's like one of the stand-alone episodes. It's a bit scary. Of course, we will catch up with the characters and what is going on in their lives, but it's not about the alien conspiracy. It's not about that."
Television
American Idol Stats
(
5.3.06) According to a study released by Pursuant, Inc., 58 percent of poll respondents who have voted for American Idol say they respect Simon Cowell's opinion the most. That's more than double the 26 percent who favor Randy Jackson, and Paula Abdul's 6 percent backing. 35 percent believe their Idol votes count as much or more than voting in a U.S presidential election; fans are more likely to be from the South (39 percent) and least likely to be from the West (19 percent); and 73 percent of voters are women.
The Class
The comedy The Class produced by Adam Sandler has been picked up for next year mid-season on CBS. Jason Ritter, aka the late John Ritter's son and Joan of Arcadia's big brother, has joined the cast of the CBS comedy pilot The Class, in which half a dozen friends from the third grade are reunited at a party (thrown by Ritter's Ethan), then see their lives continue to intersect.
Gameshows
Rival networks are hot to develop their own quiz shows for prime time. Per Variety, ABC has ordered For the Rest of Your Life, in which contestants vie to win a lifelong monthly stipend; Fox has greenlit Show Me the Money (not to be hosted by Cuba Gooding Jr.); and CBS has one called Gameshow Marathon in the works.
Happy Hour
From the writers of That 70's Show, Jackie & Jeff Filgo,
two roommates, one who's been hurt by love and another who's been blinded by love, learn to live with their differing views.
I Pity the Fool
The TV Land network announced Tuesday that it will start "I Pity the Fool," a series where "The A-Team" Mr. T star travels across the country dispensing inspiration and advice.
NBC & Video Sites
As part of Monday's upfront presentation, NBC announced the launch of DotComedy.com, which will feature video content from such current shows as Saturday Night Live, Late Night with Conan O'Brien and The Office, as well as past shows, including the first decade of David Letterman's original late-night talker, which was originally broadcast on NBC. Also hitting the Internet: NBCFirstLook.com, USAFirstLook.com, SciFiFirstLook.com and BravoFirstLook.com, each of which will premiere new episodes of its own series.
Scream
(
5.2.06) Spike TV is starting its own version of the Oscars: "Scream 2006" will honor the year's best horror/sci-fi TV shows, movies, comics and music, including fun categories like highest body count and most blood-curdling scream.
Music
Johnny Cash-American V A Hundred Highways
(
5.2.06) The final recordings made by country music legend Johnny Cash will be released by his longtime producer and friend Rick Rubin this summer. American V: A Hundred Highways features a dozen tracks, including the final song Cash wrote - "The 309." According to Rubin, Cash felt a sense of urgency to record his final album after his wife June Carter Cash died in May 2003 (He passed away in September). He recalls, "Once June passed, he had the will to live long enough to record, but that was pretty much all. A day after June passed, he said, 'I need to have something to do every day. Otherwise, there's no real reason for me to be here.'" Rubin kept an engineer and guitarist on standby around the clock so Cash could record when his health permitted. He adds, "It's an amazingly sad album. At times it's hard to get through, but it's really beautiful. It's remarkable to hear an artist of his stature being so vulnerable and open and sounding strong so late in his life. I don't think there's ever been an album like this." But there might be another one. After ignoring the entire trove initially after Cash died, Rubin recently finished assembling American V and now is compiling tracks for American VI, which could be released within a year. "I avoided it for a long time, because I didn't want to feel sad and I was concerned from a technical standpoint, because a lot of it was recorded when he wasn't in the best shape," he says. "I was shocked at the volume and quality of the material. Certain songs raised their hands and volunteered for this album. VI is mostly revealed but not completely."
Rentals Returning
(
5.12.06) the Rentals — the retroist synth act started by former Weezer bassist Matt Sharp — are actually returning. On Thursday, a publicist for the band released a statement confirming that the Rentals were already at work on a new album (their first since 1999's Seven More Minutes).
Tegan & Sara DVD
(5.31.06) Tegan and Sara will release their first DVD, "It's Not Fun. Don't Do It!," August 8. Content includes a full concert shot at the Phoenix in Toronto, a tour documentary filmed by the twin sisters, the making of 2004's So Jealous and all the duo's videos.
Third Eye Blind Hits
(
5.31.06) Third Eye Blind's hits have been compiled for a CD/DVD set aptly titled Third Eye Blind: A Collection. The 19-track CD includes "Semi-Charmed Life," "How's It Gonna Be" and "Jumper," along with B-sides and bonus tracks. The DVD features all seven of Third Eye Blind's videos as well as two clips for the previously unreleased "Losing a Whole Year." .
Games
AMF Xtreme Bowling (6.30.06, E - Everyone) PS, Spot, IGN, Spy, Stat
Developers: Bethesda Softworks (Mud Duck) Website
Platform: PS2/PS3 UK
Details: N/A
Extras:N/A
The Bully (2006, ESRB Rating) PS, Spot, IGN, Spy, Stat
Platform: PS2
Details: (Q4.06) As a troublesome schoolboy, you'll laugh and cringe as you stand up to bullies, get picked on by teachers, play pranks on malicious kids, win or lose the girl, and ultimately learn to navigate the obstacles of the fictitious reform school, Bullworth Academy.
Extras: N/A
Lemmings (2006, ESRB Rating)
PS, Spot, IGN, Spy, Stat
Developers: SCEA, Official
Platform: PSP
Details: (5.16.06) With 150+ levels of addictive gameplay, enhanced graphics, a level editor, game sharing and more.
Extras: N/A
Comments: How unfair that this is only getting a PSP release!

Puzzle Challenge: Crosswords & More
(2006, ESRB Rating)
PS, Spot, IGN, Spy, Stat
Developers: Crave Entertainment, Official
Platform: PS2
Details: (5.24.06) Over 1000 unique interactive word and logic puzzle games include: Easy & Challenging Crosswords, Codebreakers (Each letter of the alphabet is assigned a number), Cryptic Clues, Diamond Shape Puzzles, Themed Wordsearch, Mini WordSearch (on a smaller grid), Micro WordSearch (on a really small grid), Kriss Kross (given the words and you have to fill), Mini Kriss Kross, Number Jig (numbers instead of words), Backwords (fill in where the black squares should be)
Extras: N/A
Rockstar Games Presents Table Tennis (5.22.06, E - Everyone) X, Spot, IGN, Spy, Stat
Developers: Rockstar Games,
Website
Platform: Xbox360
Details: Features 11 playable characters from around the world, over 15 international arenas and supports up to 8 player tournaments via Xbox Live.
Extras: N/A
Spore (2006, ESRB Rating) Spot, IGN, Spy, Stat, Feed
Developers: EA Games (Maxis) Official
Platform: PC
Details: (Q1.07) A simulation game created by Will Wright that allows players to control various life forms from the cellular to the galactic level. View 35 minutes of overview gameplay here.
Extras:N/A
Ultimate Board Game Classics (2006, ESRB Rating) PS,
Spot, IGN, Spy, Stat
Developers: Jack of All Games, Official
Platform: PS2
Details: (6.21.06)
Features 20 classic board and dice games, complete with rules introduction and historic background. Games such as Parcheesi and Naval Battle have animated boards and pieces.
Extras:N/A
World Pool Championship 2007 (9.06, ESRB Rating) PS, Spot, IGN, Spy, Stat
Developers: Sega (Blade Interactive) Official
Platform: PS2
Details: Players can create their own pool player or playing as one of the world's top pros in 20 officially licensed pool tournaments including the Mosconi Cup, World Cup, and U.S. Open. In Golden Cue mode, players test their versatility by challenging other pro-players to games of eight and nine-ball, and other cuesports within the same tournament. Pool sharks can also show their true skills in the World Trickshot Championship, where players can pull off their favorite crowd-pleasers from a vast selection of trickshots.
Extras: N/A