Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Game Reviews 2008

Online
Rollercoaster Creator: Simple gameplay but easy to kill time, click here.
White Dwarf: This online game is not going to be a multiplatinum winner, but its simple gameplay is annoying addicting, click here to try it out.
Three Card Monte: Play here, its not bad, but don't start.
Shockwave: lured me in with the ability to play Boggle, which led me to check out the updated Daily games Jumble Solitaire, Jumble, and Word Roundup.
Wii
Defend Your Castle: C+ (WiiWare 5.12.08) One of the first US released games for WiiWare, I watched the gmaes available here and liked this one for the price. I may get the poker and Pop games later.
Link's Crossbow Training: B. Packaged with the purchase of a Wii Zapper the training game is based on The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess. The Wii Zappers name is a reference to the NES Zapper light gun (think original Duck Hunt). The release date (11.19.07) marked the one year anniversary of the Wii (in the US). In order to perfect crossbow marksmanship, the player must pass a series of tests, starting with stationary bullseye targets, then moving targets and actual enemies. For a freebee game to reveal the potential of the zapper, it is pretty good.
Super Smash Bros Brawl: C (Released 3.9.08) is actually the third installment, still with emphasis on ring outs over knockouts, and has 35 different characters and all kinds of game playing action (including online). I have been missing the game since I traded my N64 copy in...but I also wish that one could be downloaded too...as we don't really play this much.
Mario Kart Wii: A (4.27.08) Ah yeah! Not a fan of the wheel, or classic controller controls, its all about the nunchuck. I played the N64 version to the death - so really, I cannot even register other variations. This release is the sixth installment in the series. 12 people playing at once? Chaos! However, sometimes I would like to be able to have the option to pick how many I would like to play with. Characters: N64 had Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Wario, & Bowser. Wii startes with 12 (including those 8) and also has 13 more that can be unlocked! Sweet! If you really want to compare though, 20 are returning and 6 are new to the series. (I am looking forward to unlocking Rosalina, Funky Kong, & Dry Bowser. Not to mention there are 36 total vehicles including the newly added motorcycles. And the jump from 4 cups with 16 tracks to 8 cups with 32 tracks is awesome (4 cups 16 tracks new, and the other 4 cups and 16 tracks are retro picks from the prior releases). There are 10 Battle courses! 6 more than N64! With 5 new, and 5 retro. The newest items are the Mega Mushroom, POW Block and Thunder Cloud, but since I only had N64 some other items were new to me, like the Bob-omb, Bullet Bill, and Blooper, which are all fun - but I do miss N64's Ghost. While there are two Battle modes (Coin and Balloon), I wish there could be an all against each otehr option rather than team, and I would also like to have the option to choose which mode I would like to play online instead of alternating between them. Overall, its awesome.
Boom Blox: B+. Enjoyable.
Tetris Party Wiiware: A. Keeping classic play along with many new ways, just great! However I wish that some could be two-three player modes in multiplayer - and not always the remaining as CPU.