Sunday, December 30, 2007

Top 5's of 2007

Movies
1. Planet Earth, 2. Sicko, 3. Ratatouille, 4. Maxed Out, 5. Pirates of the Caribbean at World's End.
TV
1. Reaper, 2. The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, 3. Chuck, 4. Best Week Ever, 5. Two & a Half Men.
Books
1. Project Censored-Censored '07, 2. James Rollins-Amazonia, 3. Michael Crichton-Next, 4. Dr. Suess-Your Favorite Suess, 5. Herge-Tintin & the Alpha-Art.
Magazines
1. The Week, 2. Wired, 3. History Channel, 4. CMJ New Music Monthly, 5. Games Magazine.
Games
1. Apples to Apples, 2. Fluxx (Thanks to Hot Death Uno searches), 3. Wii Sports, 4. My Word Coach, 5. Mario Party 8.
Albums
1. Beck-The Information Deluxe Edition, 2. Arcade Fire-Neon Bible, 3. Gorillaz-D-Sides, 4. KT Tunstall-Drastic Fantastic, 5. Chemical Brothers-We Are the Night. Special mentions; U2-The Joshua Tree Deluxe Edition Reissue, Weezer-Blue Album Deluxe Reissue, & Foo Fighters-Color & Shape Tenth Anniversary Edition Reissue.
Songs
Alternative/Metal: 1. Foo Fighters-The Pretender, 2. Lifehouse-First Time, 3. Shiny Toy Guns-You Are the One, 4. Grandaddy-Elevate Myself, 5. Finger Eleven-Paralyzer.
Rap/Hip-Hop: 1. Chamillionaire-Hip Hop Police, 2. Trick Daddy-Bet That, 3. Young Jeezy-Go Getta, 4. Janet Jackson-So Excited, 5. Common-Drivin' Me Wild.
Dance/Techno: 1. Robyn-With Every Heartbeat (Punks Jump Up Remix), 2. Bloodhound Gang-Screwing You On The Beach At Night (see the Chris Isaak Video Spoof here), 3. Mashup - Amy Winehouse/Four Tops-Rehab/I Can't Help Myself (here), 4. Bran Flakes-Bran Flakes-Cool Fresh Apple Cider, 5. Bran Flakes-Good Times a Goo Goo.
Talk Radio & Podcasts
1. Men's Room, 2. Raizin Radio, 3. Adam Carolla, 4. BJ Shea, 5. Urban Coffee.
News
Posts: 1.
Current Facts: 1.
Comments (Unfinished section)
Movies: Surpassing 2006's stat of 80 movies, this year I viewed 81. 7 films had been viewed in the theater. May held plenty of part three films and kicked the year off with one thinking, is this it? Everything else looked rentable. There truely wasn't much out there that I absolutely had to see. Especially since movies are made for DVD with extended cuts and storyparts completely cut from theatrical. Take for example The Bourne Ultimatum, released on August 3. This movie was out 4 months later on DVD! 4 months! That really is not long to wait. Still, of the 7, three I went to because friends/family wanted to go...which is just fine...but makes me realize that there were only 4 movies that interested me enough to go to the theater! My DVD collection intake has decreased tremendously, and renting (through netflix) has been just great. However, my movie interest has been unimpressed with this year as a whole. Planet Earth was an unexpected amazing gem of a show, brought back memories of nature shows watched while growing up, but just beautiful. Though the quick cuts and content jumping almost makes you feel like you have ADD, the sights are amazing. Sicko is good, not quite like his other work, but definatley more approachable for those who are not Michael Moore fans. Ratatouille redeams pixar from some so-so releases and is rather humorous and fun. Maxed out almost complements Sicko with credit card issues at its center...and then Pirates. Where I can respect the overwhelming ammount of wrap ups placed in Spider-man 3 and Pirates 3, they all seemed like too much. However, elements of Pirates fleck back into memory from time to time and it is quite funny and creative placing it on the list.
TV: Undoubtably, television has experienced my lowest viewership even before the strike. The Office and My Name is Earl were strong, but just felt old by year's end and my interest really tuned out months before the writters strikes.Instead, I think I found more interest in rentals, though those weren't impressive either, I substituted my time there. However, Reaper & Chuck definately peaked my interest. The rest I would catch whenever, and new Two & a Half Men episodes were straining.
Books: The overwhelming winner of categories this year is books. 2007 allowed time for me to read 56 books. In the past few years you would know that I always picked up the latest Bathroom Reader annual volume (and some spin-offs) and Project Censored Top Censored Stories books hands down. They still run strong and in October I am poised and ready to read the new ones as they release! Although, I do have to note that this year I wanted a good Indiana Jones type of read...and I found James Rollins. A splended read...I immediately consumed 7 of his 8 books in paperback...leaving one to be a christmas gift. James Rollins had exactly what I wanted, a perfect mix of science, history and great action. Which led to dissappointment in the rest of my reading...I grabbed recommended authors and other big names and was just unsatisifed with content. But with my bus riding, I came close to averaging about a book a week (for the weeks I rode), which allowed for some exploration in the world of reading. I dipped back into Michael Crichton, and even some childhood favorites with the exceptional tribute bakers dozen release of Suess, and the free online version of a previously unrleased (before setp 2007) Tintin story.
Magazines: Discover, Blender, Costco Connection, Game Informer, Men's Health, Readers Digest, US News & World Report.
Albums:
Songs:
Talk Radio & Podcasts: