Sunday, March 11, 2007

Prestige

2006/Sci-Fi, Rated-PG-13, 1 Disc/~2:30:02
IMDB Yahoo All MC Wiki Amazon
Crew: Christopher Nolan, Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Piper Perabo, Rebecca Hall, Scarlett Johansson, Samantha Mahurin, David Bowie.

Details: At the dawn of the 20th century, rival magicians Robert Angier and Alfred Borden are desperate to reveal each other's secrets. Obsessed by the escalating competition, the two illusionists begin to perform increasingly risky tricks -- which soon turn deadly. (Netflix)
Content: (Yahoo)
- Feature Film ~2:10:31

- Directors Notebook (6 chapters) 19:31
- 4 Photo Galleries
Eggs: (Eeggs, Eggs, DVD Town) None
Factoids: (IMDB, Moviemistakes)

1. The main characters' initials spell ABRA (Alfred Borden Robert Angier), as in Abracadabra, a common word used by magicians.
Comments: C+. (3.11.07, Rental) Maybe it was the marketing magician, but I was fooled thinking that this would be like something else...I relabled it a Sci-Fi because the Thriller label is definately misleading. I still like Chris Nolans storytelling and twists as much as I did way back when I saw Memento, but by reading the overview and seeing the advertisments I certainly felt cheated (at the ending) in the difference the two stories are. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the film, but unfortunately for the time being my rating will reflect my unhappiness of the films own prestige. The best way to describe this film is that while it is in fact about rivalry between two magaicians, a more acurate addition would indicate that it is like a modern day Outer Limits story told in a science fiction victorian era setting. The costumes, sets, acting and twists are good, but bear in mind that a reality step is crucial for the ending.