Thursday, May 17, 2007

Four Blind Mice

2002 (2003 Paperback)/Fiction-Mystery, Publisher: Warner Vision (Warner Books)
By James Patterson. 383 pgs.
Overview: Site, B&N, Amazon, Wiki, MC
Detective Alex Cross is on his way to resign from the Washington, D.C., Police Force when his partner shows up at his door with a case he can't refuse. One of John Sampson's oldest friends, from their days together in Vietnam, has been arrested for murder. Cross and Sampson go deep behind military lines to confront the most terrifying-and deadly-killers they have ever encountered. (B&N)
Review: C- (5.17.07) This is the eighth book featuring the Washington DC homicide detective and forensic psychiatrist Alex Cross, and Pattersons 23rd. There is also an additional 18 page excerpt of The Big Bad Wolf. Sadly this marks a strike three for James Patterson. These books are perfect airline novels, otherwise the double spacing gaps and short chapters drive me crazy. Standing as the second book I have read on my commute, I can only compare the following from the previous book Map of Bones. With that book I could read about 80 pages a day, while with this book I can read over 160 in one day. This makes the book really short, and in some ways I am glad because I don't think the story would carry as well. I can see how other writers are annoyed because at this rate, (take for example James Rollins writes two books a year) he can put out about 5 books a year (almost the two book equivelant). There are still some aspects that I really enjoy, the writing for Cross' character still is enjoyable as far as development goes. The cases themselves are so-so at best. Don't be surprised if I pick another one up (even though I keep getting dissappointed).