Friday, September 30, 2005

Proposal Letter - Part 2

Parts: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, Pics, 9 (Final).

Friday morning, I needed to find a hotel. So, I jumped online looking for something with a Jacuzzi, and expedia pointed me in the direction. I looked at about a dozen places, and ultimately liked my first choice for what it had and location (definitely better than others). After work I zipped over to Silver Cloud Hotel and reserved a room (421) with a Jacuzzi for Friday and Saturday night.

Jacuzzi Suite: One king bed. 380 square feet. Electric fireplace and two-person spa tub with bathrobes and basket of bath amenities. Contemporary decor with earth tones and dark wood furniture. Granite desk. Refrigerator, microwave, and coffeemaker. Bathroom with bowed shower rod. Cable TV with premium channels, pay movies, and Nintendo video games. Free local calls; complimentary high-speed Internet access. Most rooms have sliding glass doors. (As you can see, the "Sliding glass doors" was the final pitch that pushed me over , but then wait! It says that "most rooms" have them…uh oh! My fingers are crossed)

I was tired, and thinking of a hundred things I needed to compile together. This was my first chance to think about how to play this all the way out from all that scattered ideas I had. Unfortunately, all these thoughts were in my head as I was reserving the room. I even asked for a room with a spa in it! I gave them our address with "SE" missing in it, and realized that as I left.

I had to reach Duane. No answer, on cell or at home. What the heck! My thoughts jumped to Adam...and I thought I better call him now if I had any hope to be able to include him in the event. For quite a while I wanted the immediate family members to be present at some point in the process and was never really sure how...and it struck me as plain obvious that Saturday (the day after) would be a good celebratory time. Adam said that his boss had placed him back on weekends despite his protest, and told me that he would give him an ultimatum...either way, he told me that he was in, and would be there. Whew. So, I called Kristen, whom managed to stay pretty calm. I told her to keep the weekend open. She said she had a wedding to go to that Saturday night. Didn't matter. I guessed a meeting time of 11am, and chatted a bit more about the ring ideas. In my mind I concluded that it would be best to go in on Monday and pick a temporary ring. I would look at engagement ring prospects, but thought that our four year anniversary mark would be a good upgrade point. Plus my pocket needed to figure out its current expenses. As for Jason & Caroline, they were leaving at 4am for Mexico...I debated, but at the time I was not quite sure one way or the other to say anything to them. So I didn't. they would be coming back Saturday the 8th, and they could celebrate with us then. I knew picking them up would be an issue too, and guessed that Adam might possibly go get them, or some other alternative yet to come to me. I also knew that I couldn't keep the secret the whole time. If I could up till Friday, I was set. This did not seem like a tough feat, at the time. I also felt that I wanted something of Janel's mother involved. At the moment, all that came to mind was when Janel had said that the show Doogie Howser brought back memories. So, I figured this could be a way to keep those memories alive and strong...and who can turn down a trip to Best Buy? I called my parents up and reserved Friday and Saturday by saying that Janel and I were coming over to visit. This was done to keep the weekend available, I only left them in the dark because I was awaiting consent from Duane.

Checklist Friday:
-Reserve room with a jacuzzi
-Attempt to reach Duane
-Call Adam
-Call Kristen
-Doogie Howser DVD's